We’ve been pumping out resources and articles about COVID-19 and what it means for architects. But we thought we’d take a break from the serious (albeit important content), and let you know how some of the AIA Colorado Board and Staff is spending their free time right now.
Here’s what we’re currently reading, watching and listening to. Got recommendations? Post them in our Facebook group for others to enjoy!
Adam Harding, AIA, 2020 President
- Reading: Don Quixote
- Watching: Just finished Tiger King (must watch), Little Fires Everywhere, Homeland and Top Chef Masters
- Listening: Been actually listening to Stan Getz and a Bosa Nova playlist on Spotify
Zachary Taylor, AIA, 2020 Past-President
- Watching: A week ago, my family and I finally binged The Mandalorian on Disney+, I just finished season 5 of The Magicians (SciFi) and I plan to start Altered Carbon season 2 now that I’ve reactivated my Netflix.
- Other than keeping up with my dwindling work-flow, I’ve made mad progress on my home improvement project. I personally hung ~38 sheets of drywall in the past week and a half. 😊
Rachael Johnson, AIA, 2020 President-Elect
- Reading: Python Crash Course textbook (dork 😊 )
- Watching: so much!!!! Westworld, Top Chef, The Wire, anything Disney+
- Listening: books – Creativity, Inc. and To Pixar and Beyond, podcasts – My Favorite Murder
Wells Squier, AIA, 2020 Treasurer
- Reading: The Puppy Whisperer (as the attached photo explains)
- Watching: We’re late to this series, but have been enjoying an occasional episode of Schitt’s Creek
- Listening: Leadville: The 100 Mile MTB Podcast and Ten Percent Happier podcasts with Dan Harris
Kaylyn Kirby, AIA, 2020 Secretary
- Reading: Does the news count? Kidding, though I have been reading too much of that. I’ve been researching and planning a trip to Scotland that my significant other and I have on the books for fall; holding onto hope of that being a reality. I’m about to pick back up The Mists of Avalon and nerd out.
- Watching: Abandoned (Hulu), Ugly Delicious (Hulu), and Tiger King of course. Re-watching King of the Hill
- Listening: Lots of Paul Simon, Durand Jones and the Indications and John Prine. And don’t forget about Toto!
Sheva Willoughby, AIA, 2020 South Director
- Reading: There’s No Such Thing As Bad Weather By Linda McGurk
- Watching: Sesame Street by day and Ozark by night
- Listening: Dare to Lead by Brene Brown audio book, Joe Rogan, Trail Runner Nation Podcast or Jam On music station
Sarah Broughton, AIA, 2020 West Director
- Reading: The Fifth Rule by Michael Lewis
- Watching: My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman on Netflix
- Listening: Bill Withers
Ignacio Correa-Ortiz, AIA, 2020 Denver Director
- Reading: The King Within, Moore & Gillette, Geometry of Shadows, Giorgio de Chirico Anthology of British Tong-twisters, Ken Parkin
- Watching: PBS, Shameless, Tiger King
- Listening: Music: Ana Tijoux, Calle 13, Inti-Illimani, Lulacruza. Podcasts: Philosophize This, Stephen West; Here and Now; Diana Uribe; Fresh Air
Marc Swackhamer, 2020 At-Large Director
- Reading: Exhalation by Ted Chiang
- Watching: DEVS on FX and Ozark on Netflix
- Listening, music: Girl Talk, Lizzo, Greg Dulli, Vampire Weekend, The Weekend. Podcasts: The Daily, Freakonomics
Amy Blagriff, Honorary AIA, COO
- Reading: I could do anything if I only knew what it was – How to discover what you really want and how to get it by Barbara Sher
- Listening: Hawaii Public Radio 2/KIPO. Live classical music streaming and fond memories of trade winds and palm trees
- Watching: Star Trek Picard
Carin Haen, Member Services Director
- Reading: Admittedly, a lot of People magazine. But, in my defense, it is People en Español so that I am actually “learning something.”
- Watching: Just started watching Ozark at the recommendation of a friend and evidently along with a good part of the country.
- Listening: During work = Pandora station Caribbean Jazz Project, Pandora station Academy of St. Martin in the Fields (classical). For mental health = Deepak Chopra & Oprah Winfrey’s meditation series “Hope in Uncertain Times”
Marisa Pooley, APR, Public Relations Director
- Reading: Over the Top by Jonathan Van Ness (From Netflix’s Queer Eye)
- Watching: Basically, everything out there. But my favorites right now are Tiger King, Succession and 90 Day Fiancé.
- Listening: Tons of Lizzo and Mariah Carey. I’ve also been listening to the podcast The Dating Game Killer.