The AIA CO J.E.D.I. Education Pipeline Committee is focused on introducing school-age students to architecture in an effort to expand career pathway exploration and diversify the profession. The following are upcoming opportunities for architects, architectural interns, and allied professionals to share their journey with middle and high school students in the Denver Public School (DPS) system. Time commitments are outlined under each opportunity. Please contact Sarah Goldblatt, AIA if you or your firm is interested in volunteering: firstname.lastname@example.org or the DPS contact listed below. Please share with your firm or colleagues who may be interested.
DPS Career Exploration SPARK summer programs are looking for the following:
Guest speakers for elementary and middle school students throughout the summer. They are looking for architects or allied professionals to share their experiences about their career journey and provide a related hands-on activity.
- Who: 20-25 elementary and middle school students per classroom
- What: In-person, classroom presentation of career journey and related hands-on activity to engage students. See slide deck for more information: Spark Summer Programming Info Session Slide Deck
- When: See sign up for locations and available time slots: Elementary Sign Up Sheet – Middle School Sign Up Sheet
- Commitment: Flexible- one class period or multiple classes each day at the times listed on the sign-up sheets.
- Note: Community based organizations have specifically asked for BIPOC speakers for the Middle School sessions.
DPS High School Architecture/Drafting Instructor – opening at DPS to teach high school students architecture and drafting
DPS CEC Early College Coach/ Mentor:
- Who: Seeking A/E and construction professionals to mentor high school students with specific interests in architecture
- What: One on one sessions with high school students, each meeting time is structured and facilitated by the Coach MentoringProgram Coordinator. Each mentor will receive a handbook with detailed curriculum per session. Outside of the structured session is a text/phone call check in once per week based on the preference of the mentor/mentee match. Note: Mentors can share the role with a colleague and co-coach a student.
- When: 2023-24 school year/ Nov. – April
- Commitment: One morning per month, 8:15-10:00, for six months: Dates TBD
- Deadline to apply: October 2023
- Application link: https://dpsk12.tfaforms.net/37
DPS Launch Internship program:
- Who: Architecture firms needed to provide career-shaping internships for high school students with specific interests in architecture and allied fields
- What: Additional info: DPS Launch Internship Program
- When: Summer 2023: June 12-July 21 / Fall 2023: datesTBD
- Commitment: Provide 100 -120 Hour engagement opportunity with your firm with DPS support
- DPS Contact: email@example.com