Architect Registration Examination® (ARE) Prep
Taking the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE) can be a daunting process. But we’re here to help.
What is the ARE?
The Architect Registration Examination® (ARE) is a series of seven (7) exams, which are required to practice as an architect in the state of Colorado, that assess candidates for their knowledge, skills and ability to provide architecture services.
Important information about the transition to ARE 5.0
The Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) 4.0 retires in just a few weeks—here’s what you should expect if you haven’t finished testing by June 30, 2018.
- If you haven’t already transitioned before ARE 4.0 retires, our system will most likely transition you the first time you log in to your NCARB Record and open the Exams tab. Any division credits that you’ve earned will show in your Record based on the Transition Calculator, and you’ll be able to schedule your first ARE 5.0 division right away.
- If you’ve recently tested in ARE 4.0 and are still waiting on a score report, you will not be able to transition until your score is posted. As soon as the score posts and you view your Exams tab, you’ll either be marked as ARE complete or be transitioned to ARE 5.0 if you still have some divisions left.
- If you have testing accommodations that include extra breaks or extended time, you will need to contact NCARB’s Customer Relations team to transition. You’ll also see a message about this on your Exams tab.
Due to extremely high testing volumes, score reports may take longer to process between now and the retirement. Although candidates typically receive their results within 1-2 weeks, score reports for divisions taken between now and June 30, 2018, may take up to 3-4 weeks to post.
Not planning on testing between now and June 30? Make the transition now!
RESOURCES TO HELP YOU PASS THE EXAM
Free ARE study materials are available to members for checkout at the AIA Colorado office and satellite locations, including study guides, practice exams and flashcards. Review the lending procedures and bring the registration form with you when you pickup the materials, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARE study resources are also available for download. These study resources were assembled by volunteer ARE seminar instructors and are only available to AIA members. Please email your professor to access study resources for the following ARE sections:
Ballast and Brightwood Architecture Education (formerly Kaplan) offer discounts on study materials to AIA Colorado members.
- Ballast Study Guides – Receive a 15% discount by visiting www.ppipartner.com/MU583. You will not need a code. The discount is valid for select individual titles, not packages, which are already discounted. Contact Professional Publications, Inc., with any issues at 800.426.1178.
- Brightwood Architecture Education Study Materials– AIA Colorado members receive a 20% discount. Just login to the AIA Colorado Brightwood portal. This is also where you can access the Qbanks for each exam section.