We know that our members are leading the charge in excellent and innovative design, and you deserve credit for it.
Receiving an AIA Colorado Design Award distinguishes you as a credible, trustworthy and talented architect. Past AIA Colorado Design Award Winners have seen increased business, trust among peers and clients and local and national media coverage.
As a design award winner, your work will be featured in prominent local media like Colorado Homes & Lifestyles, The Denver Business Journal, ColoradoBIZ and Colorado Construction & Design, as well as on the AIA Colorado website, social media and marketing materials.
Submit your great work for a design award and let us recognize you and your team for advancing architecture.
Online Submission Process Opens: Friday, June 1, 2018
Submission Deadline: Friday, July 20, 2018
AIA Colorado 20181 Design and Honor Awards Gala: Friday, September 7, 2018 – Seawall Grand Ballroom, Denver. Award winners will be notified and announced at the gala.
Submission Fee: $300 per entry
Local section award recipients between the years 2014 and 2017 that did not receive statewide recognition, may resubmit for consideration for the AIA Colorado 2018 Design Award for FEE.
Refunds will not be issued for entries that are disqualified, withdrawn, incomplete or late. The submission deadline will be strictly observed; no exceptions will be made.
AIA Colorado members may receive recognition for their projects both locally and statewide.
First, you’ll select a project type category that best represents your submission, such as single-family residential, commercial, institutional, interior architecture and more. This will be used only to facilitate judging and ensure you are being compared to like-projects. To see a list of all the available project type categories, click here.
2. Local Section Recognition
Once you’ve submitted, your project will first be considered for local recognition. Eligible projects must be designed by an AIA Colorado member/architect, but the project can be a structure of any size/type and located anywhere in the world.
Each project type category will be recognized with one of the following local region awards:
- Notable in Denver
- Notable in the North
- Notable in the South
- Notable in the Western Slope
The number of awardees in each geographic section, and in each project category, is at the discretion of the jury. It is possible that none, or multiple, awards may be given.
3. Statewide Recognition
If you’re project wins a local section award, it will then automatically advance for further consideration to receive an AIA Colorado 2018 Design Award.
If your project is selected as a statewide award winner, it will be recognized with one of the following award levels:
- Award of Excellence: The highest honor possible, this award recognizes projects that exemplify architectural excellence in all aspects and embody the highest design standards. Unanimous approval by the jurors is required for this award.
- Award of Merit: Granted to those projects which may not exemplify excellence but display a high standard of architectural quality and design. This award does not require a unanimous vote but should be supported by a majority of jurors.
- Honorable Mention: Recognizes notable achievements in one or more aspects of the project. This award does not require a unanimous vote but should be supported by a majority of jurors.
For projects to be considered, the following requirements must be met:
- The project must have been completed within the last five calendar years. This means that the submitted project must have been completed on, or after, Jan. 1, 2013.
- The work must be submitted by an AIA Colorado member firm or architect in good standing.
- Submissions must include the individual who served as either the design architect or the architect-of-record for the project being submitted.
- In the case of multi-office firms, eligible projects are limited to work done by the AIA Colorado-member-based office where the AIA Colorado member is the design architect or the architect-of record.
- Eligible projects must be designed by an AIA Colorado member/architect, but the project can be a structure of any size/type and located anywhere in the world.
- Non-licensed members are only eligible to submit for the Award Unbuilt Forward project type category.
- Projects that have previously received statewide recognition (the AIA Colorado Design Award) are not eligible for resubmittal. However, projects previously awarded a local section award between 2014 and 2017 and have not yet received a statewide AIA Colorado Design Award are eligible to submit again at a discounted price for statewide recognition.
- Projects that have been previously submitted but did not receive any award in prior years, and still meet the five-year eligibility requirement, may be resubmitted starting at the local level.
- There is no limit to the number or submissions per eligible architect member or firm. You may enter as many projects as you wish that meet the eligibility criteria.
All submissions should be completed online through the AIA Colorado Design Awards portal. Submissions that do not follow instructions and/or submission requirements may be disqualified and will not receive any refund of entry fees.
For more details on how to apply and what must be included in your submission, click here.
2018 AIA Colorado Honor Awards
In addition to recognizing our members’ outstanding and innovative designs, it’s important to recognize the people who are advancing architecture in Colorado and beyond.
Receiving an AIA Colorado Honor Award signifies that you are a credible and talented architect who cares about your colleagues, your clients and the community around you. You’re committed to continually growing as an architect, you value creating a strong team and you recognize the power of architecture on our daily lives.